bamberg

bamberg
Bamberg, Germany

Friday, February 4, 2011

Cross Culture

Coming to America?

america.gif


The task of introducing someone to true "american culture" seems a little daunting to me. I am not even sure if I understand what American culture really is. It varies between the different regions. I think that the question of "Does othering make the different group invisible?" is too simple. What makes a group different? Technically everyone is a foreigner because you are only a part of a dominant culture in 1 place. So I think that for me, I would not so much try and teach my exchange student the "american culture" but my own version. What is significant and meaningful to me. And also, my version of America probably overlaps with how many people see the U.S.

I know all the t-shirts and post cards and whatever say that the U.S. is the home of the brave... the land of the free... blah blah blah. But really, for me at least, the United States is the south, specifically Clemson. I would show my exchange student all the things that make Clemson a unique place. I would talk about all the athletics,- football, baseball, etc.- going downtown, friends, and school. By showing why and what makes Clemson unique, hopefully my exchange student will take away the fact that the U.S. is full of unique places. That no one place is the same. The combination of all these different and unique places, like Clemson, is what composes and makes up American culture. Using the grass analogy- the United States is the like a backyard lawn and Clemson, SC is one of the many strands of grass. I think that the United States values individualism and personal growth as a major priority. I also believe that rags to riches, metaphorically speaking, is alive and well in the U.S. The U.S. provides its citizens with the opportunity to become rich in more than just money. Rich in experience, diversity, happiness, the list goes on and on.

I just hope that I can come to value my host country as much as I value my own country.

1 comment:

  1. You and your colleague should do a cultural introduction for out of state (or out of country) transfer students!

    See http://cuinbelgium.blogspot.com/2011/02/exchange-students-part-1.html

    ReplyDelete